I was shocked after speaking with my nieces and nephews to discover that they don’t have any required summer reading. While it was always a drag during my childhood to have to read certain books during the summer, rather than the ones I wanted, summer reading opened me up to some incredible books, and some necessary reads. Especially when we are young, we need to be encouraged to explore our reading interests, but there is great value in tackling certain classics, and even in reading books we might not particularly like. Not even having mentioned the fact that without mandatory summer reading some kids won’t pick up and complete a book all summer (though I am not naive enough to believe that everyone ACTUALLY reads all books that are assigned).
What’s on your summer reading list? Will you be rereading classics that you never thoroughly enjoyed? Revisiting old favorites like the Harry Potter series? Doing some light, fluffy, beach reading? Or finally catching up on all the best-sellers you never got to indulge in?
– Wild by Cheryl Strayed (completed)
– Freedom by Jonathan Franzen (in progress)
– Ten Little Indians by Sherman Alexie (in progress)
– Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows by J.K. Rowling
– Life of Pi by Yann Martel
– We Are Water by Wally Lamb
– The Marriage Plot by Jeffrey Eugenides
I want to know what made your list so share it below!